Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ghosts of Christmas Presents Past ...

     At what point in our lives do we grow up and start asking for practical Christmas presents ???

 

      Being a child of the late 60's / early 70's i can remember eagerly waiting for the Sears "Wish Book" each November ,

     I would spend hours and hours pouring over this catalogue ( always after getting my homework done , of course ) dreaming of each and every new item i saw and how much I wanted it.

     I can remember my first really monumental present - 

 - a woodburning kit ...  a sharp piece of metal that you would plug into the wall which heated up to near nuclear temperatures, then you would draw images into the provided pieces of wood  .... or the carpet ... or your grandmother's table .... or your brothers arm.  A totally safe and sane gift to give any aspiring 8 year old arsonist. 

     Then came - 

 - the Rock Tumber .....  this was great .  You put ordinary rocks into this drum-type thingy with some special liquid, turned it on and magically , in about 4 days , you would get ...... shiny rocks !!!   wow .....   I mean  - WOW !!!!   I. LOVED. IT.  ( yeah i was a geek even back then ).

 

   This year  for Christmas , when I was asked by my Mom what I wanted. What i wanted most out of everything in the whole wide-world , what my heart yearned for more than anything ..... 

....  a blender.   a.  fucking.  blender.   ( to be fair - my magic bullet was about to bite the dust)

 

   I should have asked for the woodburning kit .....