Thursday, May 14, 2009

Disney/Pixar's UP



I recieved a "txt msg" yesterday that said - " win 4 tickets up a special advanced screening of Disney / Pixar's Up - txt (whatever it was) back and you will be entered in a drawing". I did. I was selected. YAY !!

So today was the screening , I have to say that this is probably my favorite Pixar movie of all time ! For me, better than Toy Story , better than The Incerdibles , better than Monsters Inc., even better than Finding Nemo ( which I think has the same sort of feel to it ). I'm not going to go into a plot-by-plot review of the picture, I'll just give you a few brief thoughts on the film.
What surprised me only about five minutes into the movie was the feeling of longing and wistfullness that ran throughout the entire film. It's not a straight-ahead comedy , although there are laugh-out-loud moments ( i love Dug ). This, to me, is the most sentimental movie Pixar has released. I had not read a great deal about the movie before I went although I had a general idea of the plot, I was not really sure about what to expect. What i got was a movie that wears it's heart on it's sleeve, a combination of Cocoon & Indiana Jones. A movie that deals with Life , Death, Friendship and Adventure in a way that totally won me over.
I think this will be another big hit for the Disney/Pixar brand, and it should be. The characters are fully developed ( one character in particular is given a full chance to deveolp with only minimal dialogue and only about 10 minutes of screen time). The action scenes are done better than 90% of the live-action movies realeased today; and the humor comes the characters. Not some product placement, current events, hipster, see-how-cute/fun-we-can-be ( i'm talking to you Shrek).
One final thought: if you are a dog person , or even if you're not, the dogs will win you over ...

until next time -


p.s. - my five favorite Pixar movies are : Up
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Wall-E
Toy Story

No comments: