Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney ...

Whitney-houston-sb05

 

I was sitting on the couch last night watching season 1 of Angel on Netflix when my iPhone & iPad figuratively blew up. Message after message from CNN, MSNBC, local news channels and of course every friend on Facebook came fast and furious: "Whitney Houston dead at 46".

Now my first thought was exactly the same as when I heard of Michael Jackson's passing , "huh - haven't thought about her/him in years" . Of course I realized what a great talent had left us, and also what a great talent had been wasted due to years of substance abuse and personal demons: but what had she meant to me?

All over Facebook people were mourning her passing and extolling the talent that had passed, yet I don't think I could have named off more than 3 of her songs. You see, I was never a big fan.  I even went to my iTunes library to see if I had any of Whitney's songs. I found 3 : It's Not Right, But It's Ok ( from a mix i have ) , Do You Hear What I Hear & I Will Always Love You ( of course ). It was the same with Michael Jackson - 3 songs out of 17K .... 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I mourn the loss of of anyone ( especially someone my age ),  I just can't feel the connection ....